We engage only highly qualified lawyers who are selected on the basis of solid academic qualifications and proven career achievements. They bring to the firm broad general business experience, outstanding technical skills, substantial community involvement and proven leadership ability.
We hire professionals motivated to work independently but in a team atmosphere. We look for people who can achieve the right balance between hard work, family and personal interest and still achieve legal and service excellence.
We attract well-rounded people who have strong character and good personalities. A Bryan & Company lawyer has a demonstrated desire to succeed and an attachment to the cities and province we are fortunate to live in and serve.
Areas of Practice
Alternative Dispute Resolution
Professional Background and Education
LL.B. 1991—University of Alberta
B.A. 1988—Camrose Lutheran College
Alberta Bar Admission 1992
Queen’s Counsel Appointment 2014
David has developed a reputation as an innovative strategist who resolves civil disputes for his clients through litigation, mediation, and a number of other alternative dispute resolution forums as a member of the firm’s Advocacy Group. He provides and facilitates creative solutions in an effort to provide prompt, practical and cost effective services to his clients. He has particular interest in the following areas:
- Advising clients on strategic approaches for the resolution of complex multi-party disputes
- Corporate and Commercial Litigation including contractual, commercial, and shareholder disputes
- Construction Litigation including building/construction/design deficiencies, property loss, and delay claims
- Energy Litigation including oil and gas property disputes, business interruption claims relating to drilling operations, well workovers, pipeline and facilities claims, and environmental contamination
- Catastrophic Personal Injury and Fatality Litigation arising out of industrial accidents, motor vehicle accidents, and occupier’s liability incidents
- Injunctive relief and Replevin Orders including seizure applications for preliminary, interlocutory and permanent relief
- Defamation, libel, and slander
- Products Liability and Manufacturer’s Liability litigation including design and fabrication deficiencies
- Specialist in Civil Jury Trials
David has appeared as counsel before all levels of Court in Alberta, several other Western Canadian jurisdictions, and in front of a number of different administrative tribunals. He has extensive experience with large, complex multi-party litigation and is frequently involved in the resolution of claims through a multitude of forms of alternative dispute resolution. David has a particular interest in the Civil Jury Trial having successfully litigated multiple Jury Trials.
David has been recognized by Lexpert as a leading lawyer in the area of Personal Injury. He has presented papers and lectured on a number of litigation topics before a variety of audiences and has been involved as both an instructor and an evaluator of articling students on the subject of Civil Litigation for the Bar Admission course (CPLED). David currently sits as a member of the firm’s Management Committee.