We engage only highly qualified lawyers who are selected on the basis of solid academic qualifications and proven career achievements. They bring to the firm broad general business experience, outstanding technical skills, substantial community involvement and proven leadership ability.
We hire professionals motivated to work independently but in a team atmosphere. We look for people who can achieve the right balance between hard work, family and personal interest and still achieve legal and service excellence.
We attract well-rounded people who have strong character and good personalities. A Bryan & Company lawyer has a demonstrated desire to succeed and an attachment to the cities and province we are fortunate to live in and serve.
Areas of Practice
Arbitration and Mediation
Products Liability Law
Professional Background and Education
LL.B. 1997 University of Saskatchewan
Alberta Bar Admission 1999
Certificate in Attuned Communication in Dispute Resolution—AAMS 2011
Certificate in Integrative Negotiation—ADR Institute of Alberta 2012
Certificate in Facilitative Mediation—ADR Institute of Alberta 2013
Q. Med Appointment 2014
Q. Arb Appointment 2015
Mike is a formally trained mediator and Arbitrator with an extensive educational background in Alternative Dispute Resolution. As an experienced litigator, Mike strives to provide cost effective and practical solutions to his clients through the use of litigation, mediation, and a number of other alternative dispute resolution forums as a member of our Advocacy Group. He prides himself on his adaptability and his creative approaches to reach resolutions. He has particular interest in the following areas:
- Construction Litigation representing design professionals, contractors, and project managers in a multitude of construction related claims including complex building/construction/design deficiencies, property loss and delay claims
- Corporate and Commercial Litigation including contractual, commercial, and shareholder disputes
- Energy Litigation including oil and gas property disputes, business interruption claims relating to drilling operations, well workovers, pipeline and facilities claims, and environmental contamination
- Aviation Law
- Defending professionals prosecuted by administrative self-governing bodies
- Malpractice Litigation including the defence of professional negligence claims against quasi-medical professions such as surgical podiatrists, physiotherapists, exercise therapists and veterinarians
- Catastrophic Personal Injury and Fatality Litigation
- Products liability litigation
Mike has represented clients in the Court systems of Alberta, British Columbia, Saskatchewan, and Nunavut and has extensive experience with large, complex multi-party litigation. He has presented papers and lectured on a number of litigation topics before a variety of audiences and has been involved as both an instructor and an evaluator of articling students on the subject of Civil Litigation for the Bar Admission course (CPLED). He has been a guest lecturer at Mount Royal College on the topic of Civil Litigation for the course “Ethics, Law, and Media”.
Mike currently sits as a member of the Executive Committee of board of directors at the ADR Institute of Alberta (ADRIA) and is also a member of the Assurance Fund Adjudications (Finance) Committee at the Law Society. He is a former member of the Conduct Committee for the Law Society which developed rules procedures and guidelines for conduct matters to determine how the Law Society deals with member conduct.p>