Doug is counsel with Bryan & Company, practising general corporate/commercial law. A strategic thinker focused on understanding clients’ short- and long-range objectives, he provides his clients with prompt service, practical advice and creative and innovative solutions.
Focus areas include:
- Transactions involving mergers, acquisitions, divestitures and the reorganization of business ventures within and outside of Canada
- Corporate and commercial strategic planning, organization of corporations, unlimited liability companies, limited liability companies, joint ventures, partnerships, limited partnerships and proprietorships
- Negotiating hostile mergers and acquisitions
- Corporate governance
- Business organization governance planning and structuring
- Dispute resolution and problem solving of inter-party organizational and operational disputes
- Incorporations, joint ventures, partnerships and franchises
- Consulting on stock exchange compliance
- Negotiating business transactions
- Advising on most operational aspects of business enterprises
Doug is a director and/or officer of numerous private and public corporations in Canada, in addition to serving on the boards of various Alberta charities and not-for-profit organizations.
Doug is currently Board Chair Emeritus at the University of Alberta (having served as Chairman of the University’s Board of Governors from February 2012 to August 2015). Doug also served as a member of the Board of Governors of NAIT from 2003 to 2010 (including as Chairman of the Board from 2008 to 2010).
In 2002, Doug was the recipient of a Queen’s Golden Jubilee Award. In 2004, he was named one of Alberta’s “50 Most Influential People” by Alberta Venture magazine, and in 2012 he was the recipient of a Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Medal.
Doug has also been recognized as one of the Best Lawyers in Canada in securities law since 2010.
Doug was inducted into the Alberta Order of Excellence in 2013, received an honorary doctor of laws degree from the University of Alberta in 2017 and was the recipient of an honorary bachelor of business administration degree from NAIT in 2015.