Bryan & Company LLP is a full-service law firm based in Edmonton, Alberta serving clients and the community since 1928. We are a firm grounded in our Albertan roots but serve our clients globally. The firm’s goal today remains the same as it was then: to provide our clients with excellent and personalized service; while attracting, growing and retaining our top talent. A large part of the firm’s success is driven by its people through establishing and nurturing strong relationships.
Job Title: Accounting Lead
Reports To: Accounting Manager
Indirect Reports: 3: Accounting Clerks
Location: Edmonton, AB (In Office)
Reporting to the Accounting Manager, the Accounting Lead plays a key role in ensuring the efficient management of the firm’s financial operations by overseeing the daily activities of the Accounting Department and providing mentorship and support to a team of three Accounting Clerks. The successful candidate will thrive in a busy, ever-changing (and fun) landscape, act with a sense of urgency and will take initiative and ownership of the Accounting Lead position
Education and Qualifications - in addition to the above:
• Post-secondary education in accounting;
• 5 years’ experience in a professional services environment;
• Strong Microsoft Excel knowledge and skills;
• CPA Designation, or in process of obtaining CPA Designation, considered an asset; and
• Previous experience working with Acumin and Payworks software considered a strong asset.
• Provide a superior level of customer service to all internal and external clients (including banking relationships), to ensure all Accounting Department requirements are met and financial services are provided in the most cost-effective manner;
• Assist in the preparation of timely and accurate financial reports (weekly, monthly, quarterly, annual and ad hoc) for the Accounting Manager;
• Assist in the preparation of the annual budget for the Accounting Manager;
• Offer analysis on variances in budget, reporting, internal controls and general accounting practices providing recommendations to Accounting Manager as appropriate;
• Assist in the preparation of timely and accurate GST returns and financial statements (to Management Committee);
• Assist with year end processes for both general and trust accounting;
• Efficiently manage the day to day activities of the Accounting Department including accounting systems, financial policies and procedures, internal controls, asset management and government and regulatory compliance reporting;
• Prepare a high volume of bank reconciliations, including trust accounts;
• Prepare a high volume of credit card reconciliations;
• Become the subject matter expert as it relates to all accounting software offering troubleshooting support, training and best practices as needed;
• Ensure compliance with the Law Society of Alberta and all government and/or regulatory bodies;
• Provide mentorship and support to a team of three Accounting Clerks ensuring on-going cross training and collaboration; and
• Provide direction on daily activities including general and trust deposits and payments, opening and closing files, write-offs, disbursements, reviewing journal entries, accruals, invoicing, payroll etc.
• Customer Service | Service orientated with high level of focus on both internal and external customer needs and demands.
• Detail Oriented | Keen attention to detail and highly organized.
• Drive to Results | Ability to anticipate, assess and readily adapt to changing priorities, maintain resilience in times of uncertainty and effectively manage in a changing environment. Keenly aware of deadlines and manages time effectively.
• Team Oriented | Considers success as a reflection of the team. Works well as a team and independently.
• Problem Solving | Sound problem solving, decision-making, and project management skills and experience.
• Communication | Ability to effectively interact, communicate, influence, and collaborate with a variety of internal and external customers. Demonstrates exceptional verbal and written communication and active listening skills, including an ability to distill complex issues.
• Professionalism | Ability to apply sound business principles/professional judgment to a wide variety of situations and requests. Demonstrates discretion, diplomacy and attention to confidentiality.
If you are intrigued and have the qualifications for the Senior and or Intermediate Litigation Legal Assistant positions, want to love where you work and who you work with; be a part of our success, stand out and submit your resume and cover letter referencing the position you are applying for to the attention Veronica Odynski, Human Resource Manager to firstname.lastname@example.org. Bryan & Company LLP provides a supportive learning environment and a competitive compensation package that includes a Benefit Plan and RRSP Program. The positions will remain open until the positions have been filled.
We thank all applicants for their interest in the position; however, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.