R. John Butler, Q.C.
John is a partner with Bryan & Company and has more than 48 years of experience in complex problem solving and strategizing, negotiating and effecting successful business and legal solutions.
Specifically, John has extensive experience in:
- Bank financing, including negotiating and executing loan arrangements for lenders and borrowers concerning real estate lending transactions, loan restructuring and mortgage enforcement
- Dispute resolution and problem solving of inter-party organizational and operational disputes
- Development of commercial and residential land parcels, including office buildings, major shopping centres, industrial properties and residential developments
- Commercial leasing for landlords and tenants involving office, industrial, retail and ground leases
- Developing strategies concerning the purchase or sale of a business
- Business organization governance planning and structuring, including agreements for shareholders, partnerships, limited partnerships and joint ventures
- Advising on most operational aspects of business enterprises, including employment matters, contracts, real and personal property leasing, and products and service warranties
John has been recognized by Best Lawyers in Canada in real estate law and by Lexpert as a leading lawyer in property development. He has also received the highest possible peer rating of AV® in the Martindale-Hubbell Directory.
John has been involved with the following organizations:
- Telus Corporation (former director, sat on and chaired various committees)
- Liquor Stores N.A. Ltd. (former director, sat on and chaired various committees)
- Enoch River Cree Casino (former chair)
- Canadian Football League board of governors (former chair)
- Western Canada Commercial Arbitration Society (member)
- Investment Committee of the University of Alberta, Board of Governors (member)